Categories are not families. They merely help you structure your catalog for easy navigation. They also allow you to browse for similar products in one place. Families, on the other hand, are a gathering of attributes that are used to define similar products.
Shoes are a family. All the shoes have similar attributes like brand, material, occasion, color, etc., so you put all these attributes under a Family called "Shoes". This includes all the shoes that you might have in your store - Women's shoes, men's shoes, etc. However, in a category, there will be a Root category called "Men", another one called "Women".
"Men's Shoes" will subsequently be a Subcategory - a child of the "Men" Root category, while "Women's Shoes" will be a Subcategory of the "Women" Root category.
- Navigate to Categories tab on the left panel.
- Create root categories by clicking the +Add New bar below Root category.
- Name the root category
- Click return / enter
- Create subcategories under each root category, by clicking the Add new bar below Subcategory 1 and/or Subcategory 2.
Creating root and subcategories.
Click on the Menu (three vertical dots) on each category or subcategory to:
- Update/edit the title of the category.
- Delete a category - A category can only be deleted if it has no product or subcategories associated with it.
- View product -
- This would include all the products that belong to this category
- A parent category's products would include products of its children as well
Menu options in Categories
Last update: May 06, 2021